Friday, April 08, 2005

My Desktop

The original computer I was given, when I joined the company, was a rental. While I had no problem with this to begin with, it was an aging Compaq and I had been rolling out far superior d530 machines by HP in my previous contract roll. As time has gone by, the limitations of the computing resources before me, became quite clear. The specification was just not adequate for the demands of a frontline support role. My Windows XP kept freezing and crashing, with every byte squeezed from the available 384 mega bytes, and almost full 18 gigabyte drive. Every so often it would have a go slow moment, which you could compensate for but it was when it completely stopped responding that you found yourself hitting the reset button.

What I needed was a new PC, but what I needed first was a masterplan. Consulting IT, I decided to go for the rental replacement route. Within a few days, this was overruled by a member of senior management and the decision taken to purchase outright brand new equipment. My eyes lit up (as they often do in such circumstances) and I begin drawing up my dream specification. While I am not too keen on Dell they do make exceedingly solid laptops and their service is way above the rest of the industry. The difference in cost between the rental machine and the brand new Dell was noticeable, particularly when you took into account the removal of bundle software packages from Bill.

If you consider that this machine now takes up around a quarter of the space of my last machine and does not have the temptation to be showered under a mountain of paperwork. The case is unique, small quiet and discreet (apart from at boot up). It is also very cool (in comparison to the 83 degree plastic melting d530) and you hardly notice that it actually on.

What do you think of when you look at this desk? All the signs are there, of a conscientious, dedicated employee, taking pride in a clean, professional work area. Such a shame, that you all know the reality behind this illusion. Maybe it is time you asked too, some deep dark questions?

In other news, work bloggers (are they referring to me?) have been advised on some guidelines to protect their online journals and more importantly the subject they discuss - namely their job! Shame that I forgot that the first rule is to remain anonymous. You could not see me, leaving a piece of cyberspace I call my own, without placing my name somewhere on it. Although there has been less limelight on work blogs over the past few weeks, with other more pressing issues taking the headlines on our news networks. Fantastic to see even the BBC taking on the great ambition of a blog as part of their coverage of the Electon.

No comments: