Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Proving Your Doubters Wrong

There is no greater feeling than proving your doubters, the haters wrong! Showing them that you can smash all their preconceived ideas into tiny little pieces. In any struggle there is a turning point. A call to arms, a wake up call! Mine comes in two parts. Firstly to be told by one of your nearest and dearest - "What miracle do you expect to happen in the next three months that has not occurred in the last five?". A moment which had a multitude of thoughts running through my brain at a thousand miles. If I did not doubt myself already, I was heading for a full on crisis of confidence.

Generally I listen to BBC Radio 2 in the mornings on the short drive (four miles) to the office. Unable to recall if it was because Richard Allison was stepping in for Chris Evans or Chris had played a really old song I did not know or like (or maybe even both) I switched over to Time 106.6 FM. The local Slough station.The song that just began was Hold On by Wilson Phillips. Made more famous in recent years by being featured on the soundtrack and movie itself - Bridesmaids. Listening to the song lyrics intently for perhaps the first time in my life, stuck at the London Road traffic lights, I sought inspiration from the opening lines

I know this pain
Why do lock yourself up in these chains?
No one can change your life except for you
Don't ever let anyone step all over you
Just open your heart and your mind
Is it really fair to feel this way inside

Something clicked, not sure how, or why or exactly when. I went into work with a different perspective. To focus on the key tasks and complete them to the best of my ability. To let all the other distractions, issues and headaches take a backseat. With the grace of God and with a gritted determination I not only met expectations, I exceeded them.

No comments: