Saturday, January 01, 2005

Haunted by Insomnia

It was the night before New Years Eve and I could not sleep. Attempts to drift off casually with Up All Night from Five Live on the stereo was proving unsuccessful. So after a few minutes thought, reaching over for the remote, I switched on the television. At this small hour, BBC News 24 was broadcasting with the nightly slot from across the pond. Only a show from America could be called, World Nightly News but unfortunately the main anchor for the show, Peter Jennings was replaced by a female colleague. The final slot was regarding a subject very much close to my heart. Never have I consider myself to be part of an online revolution but it is amazing when you consider how far the media ecosystem or more commonly referred to blogosphere has come. There was a statistic that was mentioned, which opened my eyes to the significance of these online journals, they are much more than just a passing trend. All you need to do is look at some more detailed analysis.

Where as I feel my personal blogging has not changed the world and will never deliver some of the greater good, it is satisfying to know the power of my fellow band, referred to as citizen journalists. To understand the truly historic context of this blogging revolution you have to turn to Time Magazine. Would you believe that they named, President George W. Bush as their Person of the Year, the American Revolutionary. Second place may be the first loser, but for bloggers, the mere thought means some inroads are being made. Scrolling down the list, I personally noted several points which have proved over time to be genuine. If this is just the beginning of the revolution, just wait to see what the future has in store. As it becomes more apart of our daily lives rather than a separate chore.

So the new year brings me back down to earth with a bump. Reality check. Back to work on Tuesday. The holiday is over and with it, any extension to my honeymoon period in the office. Nothing more than I expected, if I am honest with myself. I intend to bury myself in my work, keep myself busy, make friends and ultimately prove myself. I have been here before and cannot under estimate the scale of the task that lies before me. I will do my utmost best and all the trials and tribulations will be documented here (if somewhat edited to save any unnecessary embarrassment). My original aim of creating this new log was to have a professional outlet for my career aspirations and personal development. Leaving the path free for all personal ramblings to be posted on my personal blog.

Do you make New Year Resolutions? I never bother, but I want to set some targets or goals for the coming year, which I will be able to provide evidence for on this blog. If you have any serious worthwhile suggestions, feel free to leave your comments.

No comments: