Saturday, September 24, 2005

Back to Basics

Sometimes we place ourselves into difficult situations, when perhaps the easier option is to do nothing. Do I really want to change the lifestyle I have now? Do I really want to start a new routine, when this one has become so comfortable? Thankfully, for once, the decision left more in my hands, than in the lap of the Gods. I do not regret going ahead for the opportunity, even if perhaps I have been avoiding, ignoring all such opportunities since January this year. A dear friend, summarised the situation, in a single double edged phrase. "You've been there before Andrew, you know what to expect". Enough talk of what could have been, let us concentrate on the here and now

This blog is slowly drifting down an awkward path. It was originally created to capture the foundation of knowledge which I gain from the workplace. Yet, it has become more of a social commentary on my life in the workplace and has come to overshadow, the main objective, purpose of this online journal. So, how do I get back on track? I think it is a case, of going back to basics.

People I meet, often ask me what I do. It was only this week, when I truly considering my role and my place within the greater scheme of things in the company. I work on a bespoke support line, supporting some 900 field users. My role is more technical support than helpdesk. The level of calls of the how to nature are few and far between, in comparison to the 'has my data gone through to head office' calls, which I receive at least once a day (if not more often). My working hours are 9.30am until 6pm, although living so close to the office, I tend to arrive very early, up to an hour beforehand and have often been known to stay late into the evening, (7.30pm on Wednesday last week). Our busiest period is from 4pm until 6pm, mostly concentrated on Fridays or the last day of the month. The level of knowledge of end users is varied, but generally they are not computer people, so at times you are explaining even the most simple of tasks in layman terms. Yet there are times when I feel full sympathy for the end user because there is little I can do or say to resolve their problem, apart from ask them to attempt to 'transmit' their data again. Sure, I wish my product knowledge was extensive, rather than so broad, but the best part of bespoke software, is many issues get forward back to external IT departments. Having said that, there is always the case of 'blame' being pinned on our software and the problem being laid directly on our door again. This is part and parcel of life working closely with external clients.

Overall, I am happy with my career and life at the moment. Yet, I feel in years to come I will come to regret living so close to my job and still living with my parents. The creature comforts of home lull me into a false sense of security. Something drastic needs to happen for me to get my act together, and finally after twenty four years flow the nest, for good.

No comments: